Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Best Lantern Ever

When I first saw the L.L. Bean Freeplay Rechargeable Crank Lantern in their Spring catalog I immediately ordered two. These units now complement several other lantern/lighting options I've purchased in the past. I believe that the Freeplay is the best and what you might call the pinnacle of my search for emergency lighting solutions. I began years ago with the purchase of emergency candles that were the size of small logs and would supposedly burn for weeks. Then I upgraded to a Coleman 8D Pack-Away Lantern which was good, but I didn't like the fact that it needed eight D batteries to operate. Wandering the aisles of Paragon Sports' camping department I came across the Uco Candle Lantern from Peregrine Outfitters. This is an elegant little device that works for nine hours on a single, small candle. But now if I have to take just one device with me in an emergency, it'll be the Freeplay from L.L. Bean.

No comments: